Posted By : Threeland Travel / Halong Bay - Travel Tips
Located in Cat Ba island, Lan Ha Bay is considered as an extension to the southwest of the famous Ha Long Bay, but belongs to a different province – Hai Phong. Not only famous for the karst islands and limestone outcrops which are just as beautiful as those of Halong Bay, Lan Ha also attracts us with the numerous isolated white-sand beaches.
Therefore, recently more and more people plan to visit Lan Ha Bay which is still untouched and less touristic compared to the well-known Ha Long Bay, to enjoy the tranquility and immerse in nature.
MonCheri Cruise on Lan Ha bay
In fact, in order to visit Lan Ha bay to enjoy your holiday, firstly you have to reach Cat Hai island and then start to explore the bay from the port there. So let us advise you some following information to prepare your future trip.
From Hanoi to Lan Ha bay
Starting with the case that you are already in Hanoi, we will have different ways of transportation for you to select the most suitable one to visit Lan Ha Bay:
- Option 1 – By tourist/ public bus: with the developments of the infrastructure between provinces or big cities, this option is the most popular way since the buses depart to Cat Ba islands daily with about 10 times per day, from first departure at 06:00 to last one at 14:30, in which we can recommend some options with good quality and services such as Good Morning Cat Ba, Cat Ba Discovery, Daiichi Travel Cat Ba, Cat Ba Express.... and the buses will also pick you up in Hanoi and drop you off in Cat Ba town and vice versa.
Moreover, for the public bus like Hoang Long, you have to go to their office/ bus station in Hanoi/ Cat Ba to catch the bus. In addition, their tickets will vary about USD11 – USD14/ person/ way, covering 03 main routes:
• Hanoi – Got port (by land transport for about 2.5 – 3 hours)
• Got pier – Cai Vieng port of Cat Ba island (by speedboat for about 10 – 15 minutes or ferry for about 25 – 30 minutes, depending on your chosen bus’s company)
• Cai Vieng port – Cat Ba town (by land transport for about 40 – 50 minutes).
Hoang Long bus from Hanoi to Lan Ha bay
Actually, you can book the ticket online or ask the hotel’s staff in Hanoi to help you reserve the booking.
- Option 2 – By train: in this case, you will catch the train from Hanoi/ Long Bien station to Hai Phong station for about 2.3 – 3 hours, with the cost of about USD4 per ticket per way. Then upon your arrival at Hai Phong station, you will have to catch the car to transfer to Cat Ba island for about 30 minutes.
- Option 3 – By private car: it is clearly the option that costs most. But thanks to the Hanoi – Hai Phong highway, we can save the transfer time by car to about 1.5 – 2 hours only to reach Got pier, then you will get on the ferry and continue the drive to Cat Ba town. The rental fee will depend on the type of transportation (may be vary from USD150 per 4-seat car for 02 days/ 01 night up, not including toll fees).
From Van Don Airport to Lan Ha bay
Next to the case when you arrive in Vietnam via Van Don International airport – the first privately-run airport in Vietnam which finally went into operation from the end of 2018. This airport helps us save the transfer time for the travelers coming to Ha Long bay and Lan Ha Bay.
Previously, the visitors must take the flight to Noi Bai international airport in Hanoi, then continue the journey by road with about 4 hours to Ha Long Bay/ Lan Ha Bay. Now the travelers also can take the private car/ taxi from Van Don airport to Got pier via the new highway (Van Don – Ha Long – Hai Phong) for about 2 – 2.5 hours.
Finally, when you already put your feet on Cat Ba islands, you will also have various kinds of adventures to explore such as trekking and cycling in Cat Ba National park, kayaking and swimming in Lan Ha Bay, relaxing on the cruise in the bay …
Actually, now there are many overnight cruises operating the program of 02days or 03 days in Lan Ha Bay, with the package also including the shuttle bus Hanoi – Lan Ha Bay – Hanoi (upon your request), overnight cruise with meals and on-board activities, as well as the discovery of Cat Ba National park (the details will depend your chosen cruise).
By the packages, the cost may be a little higher than the one staying at hotel/ homestay on land, however you will spend your night on board on the bay with the full-board services from 3* standard up.
In conclusion, although transportation always take an important role in your travel plan, depending on each trip to each destination in Vietnam, you will select the most suitable way of transportation thanks to the development of the online services, to save the time and the budget for your best tours in Vietnam.
With above different ways to reach Lan Ha Bay, we hope that you can easily find a perfect one to complete your future holiday to the beautiful bay.